Senior Data Scientist, Bumble App (Relocation to London)
Bumble is looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our team and assist us in using data science to deliver effective results as part of our people recommendations team.
The role will be focussed on driving improvements to the recommender systems that underpin our brands. You will have a direct impact on bottom line metrics whilst accounting for individual user preferences. With millions of images and messages exchanged on our platform every day, there is a wealth of opportunity to make a real difference in this role and help people to find love all over the world!
About Bumble and Badoo: Bumble is the parent company that operates Badoo and Bumble, two of the world’s largest dating and connection apps with millions of users globally. The Bumble app was founded by CEO Whitney Wolfe Herd in 2014. Bumble is majority-owned by Blackstone and has over 600 employees in offices in Austin, London, and Moscow.
- Identity individual user preferences and determine how these can be best accounted for in the algorithm.
- Understand the existing technical infrastructures in place and their limitations in order to determine the most appropriate way forward to implement a model.
- Establish an improved process and infrastructure in order to deploy recommender models on production.
- Proactive in identifying areas for improvement to the people recommendation systems along with the ability and drive to take action on this.
- Be a key contributor to the direction of the people recommendations product roadmap from a machine learning perspective.
- Establish and develop appropriate monitoring infrastructure for production models.
- Leading on significant technical advancements and ways of working for the people recommendations team.
- Collaborate with both non-technical and technical teams.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Extensive experience and knowledge of recommender systems with two-sided preferences (two-sided is essential).
- Solid technical knowledge and confident in terms of programming and scripting (strong Python essential).
- Demonstrable experience implementing machine learning models from initial conception right through to the final productionalised model.
- Strong knowledge in additional areas of data science such as computer vision and NLP.
- Proven ability to translate complex concepts into a digestible format understood by non-technical stakeholders. Able to work with high autonomy, balancing short term deliverables with longer term projects.
- Degree in a quantitative field such as Computer Science, Machine Learning or similar.
- Fluent speaking and written English.
- Enjoy keeping up to date with the state of the art in recommender systems and have a passion for applying your knowledge to solve real-life use cases impacting millions of users.
- You think about ethics in AI, the impact of machine learning on society, and want to bring that to bear your work.
- You are innovative and inspired to take on new challenges.
- An enthusiasm for mentoring and sharing knowledge within the rest of the team.
- Have an interest in contributing to the data science community both internally in Bumble and externally in MeetUps and conferences
- Employee Incentive Plan (EIP)
- £2,000 annual personal learning & development budget
- Private Medical Insurance (PMI)
- Private Dental Insurance
- Babylon Health app
- Mental health support
- Enhanced parental leave, including a highly competitive maternity package
- Subsidised gym membership
- ‘Double matched’ pension contributions up to 6%
- Plus loads of generous perks when we are in the office including breakfast, lunch and dinner, daily massages, free haircuts on-site, discounted nail services, regular socials, parties and family days.
With over 600 staff in 10+ countries all working remotely during the time of COVID-19, we’ve worked hard to adapt and support our teams during this challenging time, including:
* Flexible working hours
* Streaming free, live yoga & meditation sessions each week, as well as a full weekly timetable of free online exercise classes
* ‘Random Coffee’ — connecting staff across the globe in pairs once a week to get to know each other over a video chat
* ‘First Fridays’ — meal delivery for a remote lunch with your team once a month
* Employee Support Fund for those whose households are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19
* Written resources to guide employees through this challenging time
* You will also be taken through a fully digital onboarding process!